This summary has been prepared for information purposes only.
Purpose of Meeting
At this meeting, the Independent Review Committee on Standard Setting in Canada (IRCSS) provided members with an update on the consultation activities that resulted from the Committee’s December 2021 Consultation Paper, information to assist the Committee’s deliberations on a number of key issues addressed in the paper (and identify additional issues that may have not been adequately addressed), and an overview of recent developments in sustainability standard setting at the International Sustainability Standards Board (ISSB) and in other jurisdictions.
Summary of discussion
The Committee discussed the following matters:
- Data on consultation activities related to the Consultation Paper, including written responses received, and discussions held.
- Analyses of comments received on the following topics addressed in the Consultation Paper:
- Sustainability reporting standards in Canada, including the possible establishment of a Canadian Sustainability Standards Board (CSSB);
- Public interest;
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion; and
- Indigenous rights.
- An outline of “blue-sky” issues for discussion and further exploration.
- A summary of recent developments in sustainability standard setting at the ISSB and in other jurisdictions.
- A high-level workplan for the coming months.
The next meeting will be held on May 25 and 26, 2022.